Ric EdelmanFounder and Chairman of Financial Education and Client Experience of Edelman Financial Engines
For 30 years, Ric Edelman has worked to teach everyday people about personal finance. He’s widely regarded as one of the nation’s top financial advisors, having been ranked #11 on the 2017 list of the nation’s Top Wealth Advisors by Forbes.1 He was previously ranked the nation’s #1 Independent Financial Advisor three times by Barron’s.2 Ric is the 2017 recipient of the IARFC’s Loren Dunton Memorial Award3 for Lifetime Achievement for his “substantial contribution to the financial services profession and the financial interests of the public.” He is an inductee of Research magazine’s Financial Advisor Hall of Fame,4 and has been named among the “15 most transformative people in the industry” by InvestmentNews5 and one of the investment advisory field’s “10 most influential figures” by RIABiz.6 Ric is also a #1 New York Times bestselling author who has written nine books on personal finance. His most recent, The Truth About Your Future, was published in March 2017. For more information about Ric Edelman, visit https://www.edelmanfinancialengines.com/about-us/about-ric .
Advisory services offered through Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. (FEA), a federally registered investment advisor and wholly owned subsidiary of Edelman Financial Engines, LLC. FEA may also be referred to as Edelman Financial Engines or Financial Engines.
- Forbes rankings are the opinion of SHOOK Research and are based on in-person and telephone due-diligence meetings and a ranking algorithm for advisors who have a minimum of seven years of experience, client retention, industry experience, compliance records and firm nominations, as well as quantitative criteria such as assets under management and revenue generated for the firm. Advisors are judged on individual contribution, but total team assets are shown; in some cases, significant, noncustodied assets are not included because of verification difficulties. Investment performance is not considered. Advisors do not pay to be in the ranking.
- According to Barron’s, “The formula [used] to rank advisors has three major components: assets managed, revenue produced and quality of the advisor’s practice. Investment returns are not a component of the rankings because an advisor’s returns are dictated largely by each client’s risk tolerance. The quality-of-practice component includes an evaluation of each advisor’s regulatory record.” The rankings are based on the universe of applications submitted to Barron’s. The selection process begins with a nomination and application provided to Barron’s. Principals of Edelman Financial Services, LLC self-nominated the firm and submitted quantitative and qualitative information to Barron’s as requested. Barron’s reviewed and considered this information, which resulted in the rankings on Aug. 27, 2012/Aug. 28, 2010/Aug. 31, 2009.
- Presented by the International Association of Registered Financial Consultants (IARFC). Candidates must hold a professional designation and must have disseminated their comments on financial topics by having them widely published in articles, journals, books, etc. They must have provided outstanding personal service or leadership in the financial services industry. Nominees must have participated in some aspect of financial education to the public or to other members of the profession. Investor experience/returns were not considered.
- Research magazine cover story “Advisor Hall of Fame,” December 2004 (based on serving a minimum of 15 years in the industry, having acquired substantial assets under management, demonstrating superior client service and having earned recognition from peers and the broader community for how they reflect on their profession). Investor experience/returns were not considered as part of this ranking.
- InvestmentNews 15th Anniversary Issue. June 23, 2013
- The RIABiz listing of the 10 most influential figures in the Registered Investment Advisor industry is in recognition of notable, driven and influential executives who are advancing their firms and are considered to be influential in the RIA business. Investor experience/returns were not considered as part of this ranking.